The Adult MHFA Two Day course qualifies you as a Mental Health First Aider. (MHFA England)
Mental Health First Aiders have:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix
What to expect
Learning takes place across four manageable sessions. Through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions, each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan.
We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Everyone who completes the course gets:
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health
- A certificate of attendance to say you are a Mental Health First Aider
- A manual to refer to whenever you need it
The course will cover the following syllabus:
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA